23 January, 2010

A New World

A new world shattering the silence
There's a new world I'm afraid to see
A new world louder every moment
Come to me, come to me!
~Jason Robert Brown, Songs for a New World

I don't think I could have said it any better myself. This is what I feel like at this moment in time. I'm in a completely different world than the one that I'm used to and it's exciting and terrifying all at the same time.

So, as I'm sure you all guessed, I made it safely to New York, made it successfully onto my plane and through passport control in Cairo...which is where I'm at right now. Cairo,Egypt.

The flight over wasn't all that bad. Egyptair is pretty helpful and they didn't lose my luggage, which is always a plus. The food was fine, I mean, it was airplane food...it was hot...and edible (I really loved the desert, it was a type of cheesecake with jam on top! YUM!). I watched most of (500) Days of Summer, which was an okay movie. I'm not quite sure why it was nominated for a Golden Globe, but whatever...I wasn't in-charge of that. I fell asleep right as we hit some turbulence. I know it's odd, but the bouncing of the plane was really wonderful to go to sleep to. When I woke up, they were playing Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs,and I really wasn't all that interested, but I sort of paid attention before I put on my iPod and dozed back off to sleep.

Getting through passport control was no where near as bad as I thought it would be, however, the baggage claim took forever! I guess that's what happens when you are on a really big flight. Blah! So, after I finally retrieved my luggage, I found the gentleman who was to take me to my apartment...where a slight mix-up occurred, but it was only minor and is all straightened out now.

Anyway...this semester is going to be very different from the semester that came before this one. I can just feel it. Let alone the fact that I'm going to be working on actual academic assignments and not film related stuff, which I don't even really consider class.

But, just for the sake of everyone reading this post and for those who possibly just found my blog, I'm going to recap.

My name is Becky and I'm a student at American University. Last semester, I spent my time in Prague, Czech Republic studying film at FAMU. I had a whole lot of fun and I made a whole lot of friends with whom I'm still keeping in contact. While I was in the Czech Republic I worked on 4 short films and 1 independent feature. It was a lot of fun and I was excited to see my talents being to put to such good use. I'll never forget the adventures I had and the trips I took, they will be with me forever, shaping who I am and how I react to people and situations.

This semester, I have opted to study abroad once again. This time in a country that is drastically much different from the States. I'm pretty optimistic at this moment that my trip here will be just as fun, exciting and rewarding as my semester in Prague. But, as with everything in life, there is no way to be sure.

I am apart of 1 of 2 different programs going on here in Cairo...and I really don't know anyone here...so, I will be making lots of friends I'm sure. My program here is very small (2 people! The other kid, I sort of know, but not enough to call him my friend.) and is relatively new, which means I'm pretty much a guinea pig for this program...this will be fun! It also means a lot of one-on-one time with professors which could be very useful.

There will definitely be somethings that take some getting used to however. For instance, the fact that the work week starts on Sunday and ends on Thursday. This means, that tomorrow I start orientation for the program...wow! (This also means that I will be calling it an early night, not that I wasn't to begin with, but you know...)

Since I arrived, I haven't done a whole lot. I've managed to put all of my belongings away in my room (which is a single room...meaning no roommate. Also, I have a private bathroom...that's kind of cool!), and I managed to wander downstairs to buy some soup and a soda for dinner. I haven't felt the need to wander yet as many people are still arriving and I want to make sure I can find my way back to the apartment ok.

So, that's about it for the moment. More things will arise, I know it. It's a new city and a new world! I just need to explore and figure it all out.


No comments:

Post a Comment